Sunday, December 12, 2010

Lolita Hobbies, Interests and Other Stories...1

Most Lolitas know that, to be a Lolita, you don't have to partake in the Lolita lifestyle in any shape or form. However, it can be lovely to have a hobby which overlaps with the fashion.
I didn't decide for this to have more than one part just for the fun of it! I'll occasionally post a few ideas, just to break it up a bit. If I tried to make it into one big post I'd never end up finishing it ^^'

Tea

Tea is very closely associated with Lolita, and is often a feature of many meet-ups. Many people dislike tea, but I have a (completely unproven) theory that there is a tea for everyone! If you drink "normal tea" such as Lyons or PG Tips, and dislike it, or if you're just adventurous, why not try a tea such as Earl Grey, Darjeeling, Lady Grey or Chai? Twinings have some delicious-sounding limited edition floral teas at the moment, Blossom Earl Grey and Rose Garden, both of which I have yet to try.
Tea is a great way to start or end the day, or just to have at some point. Oh who am I kidding? In the words of Mrs. Doyle, there's always time for a nice cup of tea.
As convenient as it is to make a mug of tea, I like to make a pot of tea at least once a week, and make use of my teacup. I find it oddly relaxing, and I hope you do too!

Tea-drinking mightn't seem like something which should be classed as a hobby, but how about collecting teapots or teacups?
You don't have to spend a lot of money on either. I have one teacup and saucer and five teapots. The only one of these I bought new was a red teapot, which I bought just yesterday at a meet-up in Dublin. All the rest are from boot sales and charity shops. Boot sales are often better as far as selection goes, especially for old teacups, and you can always try to haggle the price down a bit.
Remember, not all of your collected "teaphernalia" has to be functional! I've only used two of my teapots, the others are just on display. If you think a piece is too delicate to use, then don't take the risk!


Reading

Ah literature, where would we be without it? Whether you read light novels or hefty tomes of books, reading really is a wonderful interest, especially for Lolitas. I'll admit that I'm dangerous in a second-hand book shop, I just can't leave without buying something! Children, this is called bibliophilis and can drain you of a lot of money and space. Always purchase books responsibly. :P
There a few books I would recommend, both modern and classic:
  • The Luxe Series - Anna Godbersen (frilly dresses and scandal, sure why not?)
  • Alice's Adventures In Wonderland - Lewis Carroll (But of course!)
  • The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum
  • Dracula - Bram Stoker (For the Gothic Loli in you ;) )
  • Hans Christian Anderson - Pretty much all his tales are great little reads. It's usually easy enough to find one-book treasuries of his work.
  • Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte (most of the Bronte sisters works are worth reading!)
  • Anything by Charles Dickens. Seriously.
If you read manga, or if you're just not up to doing any heavy reading, you might be interested in series such as Rozen Maiden or Bizenghast.


Sewing & Embroidery

Basic sewing is something every Lolita should try to learn, even if it is just to replace buttons!
If you can sew, you can save yourself a lot of money by making your own Lolita clothing! Check if there are sewing classes in your area. Learning to sew can through lessons can be much easier than looking for online tutorials. If you don't have a sewing machine already, you might want to think about investing in one. If you don't intend to sew often, get yourself a nice basic model. I own a Singer Confidence, which is the model pictured to the left. If you want something which isn't too simple stitch-wise, but which is easy to use, I'd recommend this.

Embroidery is another great skill to learn. I learned to embroider about a year and a half ago for my Junior Cert Home Ec project, and I picked it up fairly easily. This is one you might be able to teach yourself. There are some great videos on youtube which explain very clearly the methods involved in each stitch. This channel has some really great tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/makeitminemag


That's it for this post! :P

(I'm sorry I was away for so long! I've been really busy with school lately and haven't had much time for blogging D:. I hope to post more often from now on :). )

No comments:

Post a Comment